Sunday 10 July 2011

Saying Goodbye

Disclaimer: This isn't my last blog post.

It's 14:07. The clock is ticking very slowly and I'm grateful. Time seems to be slowing to accommodate my desire to stay in this place longer. It's still ticking though. Time is running out.

I've come to that point that every journey comes to eventually. The end. I have no more nights here. No more days, no more new experiences to add to my collection. No more memories to be made. And how do I feel? I feel sad to be leaving and at the same time excited to be going home. I want to go, but I can't bring myself to bear the thought of leaving. I feel relieved. Relieved to be ending my journey on a high note, relieved to know it's gone off without a hitch.

I feel a sense of accomplishment, a sense of achievement. I've done what I came here to do and so much more. I've traveled, laughed, made friends, crashed a motorbike, partied and felt it the next morning. I've seen temples and natural wonders. I've met people who have fascinated me with their tales and people who have shared their hurt with me. I've drunk beer at local taverns, danced with locals and played football with them too. I've been scratched, bumped, bruised and grazed and walked away with a smile. I've found a place in which I belong.

I am at peace with leaving, at peace with going home, and for the first time in a very long time - at peace with myself.

I will be back. But until that day I will cherish the memories I've made. I'll savour every recollection and every thought of this wonderful corner of the earth.

Today I say goodbye to a place which has performed a massive land grab on my heart and I do so with a smile on my face. I can't help but smile in this place.

Adieu
Oliver

"Ille terrarum mihi praeter omnes angulus ridet" - Horace (This corner of the earth smiles for me more than any other)

No comments:

Post a Comment